Sunday, October 28, 2012

Longest post ever...



This is going to be a long one so tuck in grab a beverage and hang on tight. Crazy busy weekend with lots of activities and such. It is Sunday and I still have yet to sit down and map out a whole 30 menu & list for my friend. I have carried my materials and note book around all weekend and have still been unable to get it together. Today I am cleaning and painting my house getting ready for our annual Halloween Chili dinner on Wednesday and I am taking a short mental health break to start this post. Shhhh...

So let's get to the fun stuff first. I actually got to WOD Saturday which I didn't think was going to happen because we were going to the theater and I thought we had to be there early...but alas! Saturday WOD

Grace
30 reps for time
clean & jerks
55#
5:09

Cherry
Tabata rows - 8 rounds
distance - 710

I really love Grace, because I really like clean and jerks. They are hard without being a thruster or back squat which makes you want to jump off of a crossfit cliff. I was also pretty excited to do them with 55#. Last time I did Grace I finished in 3:00+ minutes with a 35# barbell. I was happy to have some decent weight and still have a decent time. I really could have pushed faster in this wod because half way through I was taking breaks I didn't need, like I mentally thought I needed them but physically I was fine. Apparently my mental fitness has not caught up with my physical fitness. I gotta work on that. 

The tabata hit me fore another revelation. I am getting fit, I hadn't rowed yet, not even in our beginner class so this was my first time, I waited until the last heat to do mine because I was sure I would die...it really wasn't bad at all!! Like I could have rowed more, it is mostly legs and I am getting some strong legs. After rowing I was sitting there thinking, wow...this is amazing...CROSSFIT RULES! Plus Coach Kari rowed with me so I wasn't alone and nothing better than to have an elite athlete next to you to motivate your butt!

See I have been having this mental pity party. Pre-children I could sit on the couch for a few months and then decide to get back into the fit swing of things and run 5 miles right off of the bat. No problem. I could hit the gym, lift, yoga whatever. However after a good 5 years of nothing but child play it has been really hard to get it back. I had convinced myself that I had lost it and it would never come back because I was running 3-5 days a week and was still struggling. The problem was I was going about it wrong. First off as a teenager I went to a high school that had a "health related fitness" program I was in. we spent 2 days in the gym working out, 3 days in the classroom leaning basics of fitness and nutrition. Besides that I ran track and was basically active most of the time. In college I hit the gym at my university and ran as well. I had a good foundation and even if I had months of being inactive, that foundation was still there. I could get back into shape and lose weight quickly. After having kids...OY! So while I was hammering out miles and miles trying to get fit again, my definition of fit being running long distances, I was losing momentum and staying completely frustrated with my lack of progress. I was so focused on my aerobic conditioning I didn't give much thought to my strength. 

Fast forward to 8 weeks of CrossFit, I am a completely different person. I am so much stronger, leaner, happier, healthier. It has very little to do with age, my genes are still the same, athletic...it is just the years of inactivity has caused me to lose the muscle mass and strength I had. I kept thinking if I ran and ran and ran I would lose the weight and then I could work on strength...all wrong. So wrong, and while I have always loved weight training I never really looked at the prospect of heavy lifting until CrossFit. Now I want a 200# dead lift, #95, 3:00 min Grace! I have barely run since I started, but when I do it isn't this long droning painful activity, I am powerful, strong and I enjoy it more. And while the scale doesn't move much I am shrinking everywhere. I am fine with this because I would rather be fit than skinny fat.

So lots of fun stuff this weekend. This week is officially the last week of the nutrition challenge, I have lost 4 lbs total but I know I have lost a ton of fat because even my underwear don't fit anymore. Since I am starting the whole 30 I will be keeping things really tight to work harder on leaning out. I had planned on starting the whole 30 today but life passed me by and I made the mistake of eating a Reese cup at my mother in laws last night...not sure why chocolate or peanut butter needs wheat but apparently it does, I spent last night sick as a dog and even went into migraine mode. I have not had a migraine in a couple of months. In my opinion based on observation, my migraines are caused by a) foods b) hormones. Since I avoid allergy food & my hormones are starting to behave I have been not only migraine free but headache free...I forgot how bad those suckers hurt. Totally not worth the candy, even though I love my some peanut butter and chocolate.

Yesterday we had pizza night, we deem Saturdays Family Fun Day because our weekdays are always so busy we don't get a lot of quality family time. We love to hang out, the four of us and play or watch movies and as the kids get older even play games. So last night we decided on Pizza night where everyone makes their own pizza or as my kids call it "decorate" their own pizza. Daddy-O had bought us some gluten free pizza crust but I decided to make my first Meatza.

She loves to cook

Pizza artist

Daddy-O getting instruction from Firecracker

MEATZA!!!

1 lb ground beef
marinara sauce (sugar free)
pizza toppings of choice
cheese

Preheat over to 400 degrees.  I seasoned my beef with Penzeys pizza seasoning, garlic powder, salt & pepper. place the beef on a baking sheet and start working it into a circle. I worked it until it was about a half an inch thick. 

Bake in the oven about 15 min. When you get it out drain the fat that has accumulated. I patted the top dry with a paper towel. Then I took the marinara added it, topped with some great stuff and then cheese. I put it back in the oven for another 15 min until my cheese was melted and bubbly. YUM!

.....

Today I made some pumpkin cranberry muffins from Practical Paleo and added some dark chocolate chips for fun. This is by far my favorite recipe in the book. My kids eat them up. They are super tasty and hard to resist.

Mmmm these are so good!


While these were cooking I had Daddy-O start me some sauerkraut also from Practical Paleo, this isn't our first fermented kraut but the first time using her recipe. It was so easy because Trader Joe's sells shredded cabbage so there was less work. I can't wait for this! We have this great contraption Daddy-O came up with to keep the fermenting process neat and tidy. There are benefits to knowing a brewmaster. haha.



Outside of my morning muffin with coffee I didn't eat well today. I am still feeling the after effects of the wheat and I was on a mission to clean my house. I used to be someone who didn't sit still much and really had a clean house. Every month or so I would wipe my kitchen down from head to toe and I was on a steady rotation of spring & fall cleaning. Then I had kids, and got sick and blah blah. The old me is slowly coming back, I have so much more energy and just basic strength to do stuff. I have also regained my balance that had left me after having my son. I was my nimble catty self climbing all over my counters and stools  to wipe down my kitchen again. I was a sweaty pig when I was done so I count it as a pretty good workout.

I was so into my cleaning I just grabbed stuff throughout the day and didn't cook dinner. I am paying for it now because I need to good day of clean eating to recover from wheat, I haven't done that so I get prolonged symptoms...yay me!

As I mentioned we have an annual chili dinner at our house on Halloween for family. We started this tradition when my son was born as a way for everyone to get together, see the kids costumes and enjoy Halloween. I had thought about going all out on a paleo menu but life is insane at the moment so I am going with a paleo chili and then just some regular sides. I won't have much posting going on this week until after the party because I will be on a cleaning frenzy and my kids tear up my house faster than I can clean.

Cleaning with Kids

I will try to check in with some menus & wods but after Halloween I will for sure have a list up for you and a menu for a week of Whole30 meals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment