Monday, October 15, 2012

It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown

Great pumpkin

It is that time of year, when I turn into a monster pumpkin eater. My insane affinity for pumpkin wasn't helped at all when I went to Trader Joe's yesterday and they were baking pumpkin bread. The entire place smelled divine. I lurve me some pumpkin. Fall is my absolute favorite season, even though they all have their pluses, I got engaged and married in the Fall. Everything about it is so great...especially the pumpkins. When it comes to recipes if it has pumpkin in it I want it. This year there will probably not be the pumpkin roll or pumpkin bread of years past but I am also racking up my own paleo pumpkin recipes. 

This morning I started my day with making pumpkin pancakes for the kids. I made me one about 1 inch in diameter and topped with pumpkin butter, they were amazing. No pictures yet but look for a recipe post coming up. I also woke up to an email from PaleOMG of which was packed with links to pumpkin recipes, including a chicken dish I think is in our very near dinner future. I drooled over them and am sure I will make most of them soon. 

It isn't just pumpkins which catch my attention this time of year, there is also butternut squash, carrots, parsnips, beets and turnips. I love seeing how and when I want things because I try to figure what it is I need in that season and why those foods are there. I have said before that God provides foods at different times for a reason. I am talking about real food, natural food not man made or industrial foods. I am sure a lot of these heavier foods are there to beef us up for the winter when food was scarce just like spring foods are there to detox us from a rich winter. But enough about that...what did I eat today!

Meal #1 (7:30)
1.5 cups leftover PaleO'bryan
1 inch round pumpkin pancake with 1/2 tsp pumpkin butter
Coffee with milk

Meal #2(10:00)
1/2 cup buffalo chicken dip (roast chicken, franks hot sauce, lowfat cream cheese)
celery

I was pretty hungry for this meal. I haven't been eating a morning snack but I did a pretty hefty WOD yesterday so I am hungrier today. This recipe is really easy and fits the lower fat diagram. The only difference between this and what I typically make is the blue cheese dressing but I didn't even miss it. I tried this dip with celery at a party once and I was hooked, I prefer it to chips or crackers.

Meal #3 (12:30)
Leftover chicken tortilla soup
1/4 cup cheese

Meal #4 (6:30)
3 oz steak
lemon artichokes
roasted broccoli (um almost 2 heads *blush*)

I didn't eat an afternoon snack and honestly think I would have if I hadn't taken a sudafed but I can't stand this hijacking of my sinuses. So since the drugs had worn off I was pretty hungry. Steak...even lean is still steak! Add some Penzeys Chicago Steak Seasoning and there are no words...let's put it this way, I will never buy a steak out again because they just don't compare. Packed the rest of my plate with a ton of veggies and got my grub on.

Quick recipe...Roasted broccoli
bunch of broccoli cut into florets
olive oil
lemon pepper

place broccoli on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with lemon pepper. Mix with hands until covered. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-30 min. Ignore the dark parts, I got distracted and let it roast too long. Yum



Snack attack
1/3 cup sipping chocolate

Years ago Starbucks came out with a drink called a Chantico based on European sipping chocolate. I was always fascinated with "un chocolat" as a drink in french class. I am a hot cocoa girl. I am not talking about your nestle instant pouch I am talking real hot cocoa. SO when this drink came out I tried it and it was bad. I was drinking one almost every day, sometimes two. mmmm so good. Well at Trader Joe's the other day a can of sipping chocolate caught my eye...90 calories, score. I grabbed some and tonight, and am sipping it as I type. Not paleo, had to pay points for it, didn't care! Pure pleasure.



So all of that chocolate talk out of the way...


If you are a man and don't want to read about hormones female things etc, turn back now...

So I had mentioned before about wanting try to detox my estrogen dominance. Well get this my peeps...I think it is actually working. This is the first month in a long time I don't have some signs of PMS. I am not even retaining my 5-10 lbs of water. I am not wanting to eat mass amounts of food for no reason and while I am having food cravings (would kill for a Coke right now) I am able to say Hey Hey no way. I do feel a little bloated but I am not actually bloating, pants are still big on me. The most epic change...I am not in kill mode. Actually I am the polar opposite feeling all lovey and sentimental. Now I don't want to jinx myself because I still have a solid week to go south fast, but typically I have 2 full weeks of hellish PMS. Fatigue, harsh cravings, needing to eat like I am a bear, moodiness, restlessness, sleepless nights, you name it. I have the creme de la creme of pms. This month it is all but not here. (oh and the pregnant thing is out of the question)

entering PMS land...


So what is it? I am going with CrossFit, the heavy lifting and higher levels of lactic acid and testosterone. I am still riding myself of sugar, milk and eating high protein and lots of greens and vegetables. I am keeping the junk out (except my chocolate tonight ;) ) and it is starting to pay off. I have had an epic month so far. Now the other alternative is that I am just hitting a hormonal change. I pray for menopause because the fibroid tumor will die and no surgery. Can you say yay!!

Since I started this post with a Halloween picture I have to end with one. Look at this scary monster hanging out in my fridge...

Big Ole bowl of dirt cake...happy to be allergic to it! nom nom nom



No comments:

Post a Comment