Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The running dead...

Today I woke up fairly excited for the WOD...Angie. Another benchmark workout for me to write down only to visit it again down the road and try to beat my time/weight/scales. I got up did the whole hurried school morning thing and cooked me some chicken breasts to eat post wod. I had my same breakfast as last Thursday...

Breakfast - 2 eggs, scrambled. apple with almond butter, coffee with some milk & a spoon of sugar.

This is a breakfast I read on a couple of sites for a good pre wod fuel, Chris Spealler also eats something similar to this and I value his advice. In hindsight I should have eaten a second apple, even though I had  a spoon of sugar in my coffee, because I felt my muscles completely gassed of fuel today. But of course they were...here is what I did.

Angie
100 pull ups
100 push ups
100 sit ups
100 squats
Time 37:11

Cherry
800m run
5:14

I went into this workout positive and hoping I could do it in less than 2 hours so I could pick up Firecracker on time. I think it took me like 15 min just to finish the pull ups. I did each move in sets of 10 (not unbroken 10, just groups of 10) The push ups were a bit faster, I rocked the sit ups quickly and the squats too. I will be honest I didn't try to do these as fast as possible, I didn't beat myself up over breaks and resting I wanted to get the reps in, I can speed it up later. See you can scale Angie, so 100 is rx then you have 75 & 50. I showed up not knowing that and since I had mentally prepared all night for 400 total reps, I wasn't going to scale them. Do not think, however that at 50 pull ups I wasn't thinking hey I can stop right now if I want, I didn't want to go out like that. I wanted to do every last rep if it took me 2 hours. 

After I was done and feeling amazing I looked at the Cherry and sort of went "hell no thank you" but then I saw one of the guys from the group coming in from doing it and he was not dead so why the heck not! He was so awesome he even set the clock for me and stood outside while I ran...like a zombie. See you never really realize how much you use your arms to run until you can't use you arms. My right arm is pretty weak (leftie) and I literally could not bend my arm up in a normal running stance. SO I was running one arm bent on strainght on 100 squat legs...when I turned to run back with the sun behind me my shadow looked like a zombie trying to run. I am sure people though I was delirious because I got a fit of giggles at my shadow. Let's just say Rick would have shot me without thinking about it with this run. But I did it and it wasn't bad. 


 

Post WOD I grabbed my chicken, I won't lie it was really hard to swallow, literally. I took two bites and then immediately felt I might hurl. I stopped eating, drank some water, sat down and tried again. I picked at about half of one breast and decided no one wanted to see me yack. At least I got some in. When I finally got home from picking up Firecracker and I was numb from head to toe I walked into my house to find a dog s**t storm. I kid you not my dog exploded all over my house. It looked like someone was murdered in poo. So here I am exhausted, starving and trying to calm my gagging 3 yr old and now I have to clean up poo. Fun times...can you say a lesson in mental toughness. After an hour of mess cleaning I was finally able to disinfect myself and make lunch. 

Lunch - taco soup with leftover post wod chicken added in. water. 

I thought I would eat more and the fact that I inhaled dog poo for an hour may have lightened my appetite so I only had a small bowl. Right now I can tell you if I make it past 8pm tonight it will be a bleeping miracle. This was a hard wod, something that screams recovery nap!!

After I fought through an afternoon of work it was taekwando time. Luckily Daddy-O gets dinner duty on Tuesdays so I walked in the door a hungry beast and chowed...

Dinner - roast beef, blue potatoes and chard...yum!

After dinner I got to plop on the couch with my ultra exhausted self and work. Sometimes the best thing about working from home is I have an excuse to sit on the couch from time to time. I don't get to sit much when I am at home. So I chose tonight to sit and chill and crunch some reports. While I am really tired and my body feels fatigued, I ultimately feel amazing. My head is very clear and I feel energized, it is hard to explain the feeling of being energized and worn out at the same time.

I also feel a pretty decent sense of pride with myself, today was a hard workout, one of the hardest so far. In a day in the life of a CrossFitter however this is just  day, a benchmark to beat. For me who is at the bottom it was a moment to prove to myself just how tough I can be and how bad I want to have that extreme wellness. It was hard, it took a long time and I am sure I will be in pain tomorrow, but today I will sit back, feel proud and pray there are no pull ups Thursday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment