Thursday, October 4, 2012

Challenge Day 3 and a recipe

So this morning was insane. Well most mornings are insane when it is a school day. Today I had to cook breakfast, get Firecracker ready and make myself ready to go into public, no sweats and baseball hat, because I am getting my hair cut off today. Yes cut off! So breakfast was rushed and inhaled...sorry no picture.

Meal #1(7:30-8:45) My all time favorite breakfast
2 eggs
asparagus (12 stalks)
Hot Tea with splash of milk
Banana
Vit B complex, Vit D, Omega 3

SO this morning was really odd, I went to bed tired and a bit hungry but woke up not hungry...as in no appetite which most times equals the detox is starting. I don't perceive this to be a painful one because I won't have a wheat detox which is harsh, jut a small sugar one. Sugar is a funny thing, my sugar demon tried all morning to get me to appease it. Yes I have a little sugar demon in my head who was like put some sugar in your tea...c'mon you know you wanna. Drug pusher! It also tried to talk me into starbucks since I am out of coffee, persistent little thing. I just threw in a banana with breakfast, sugar averted fruit servings down by 2! Coach Charlie said last night during class he was having some cramping and he thought it was a lack of carbs...very possibly. I have been through the 2 worst detoxes ever so I recognize it and know how to handle it. It honestly isn't much unlike PMS haha. But here we go, I get excited about a good detox because I know what is on the other side!!

Finished water - liter 1

Meal #2 (10:30)
Cheese Stick
Apple

So during snack time I was getting my hair did so I just took an apple & cheese stick. Kind of hard to eat when getting chopped but I did. I decided it was time for a new hair style. I used to hide behind long hair thinking that short hair accented how heavy I was because my head is so small. I needed some bulk to balance. Now I feel so much better in my skin I got it whacked off. It feels great!! I am awful at taking pictures of myself, it makes me feel very weird and I always think I look goofy. But here is the best shot I could do...short hair!


Meal #3 (12:30)
4 oz leftover roast chicken
2 cups artichokes with lemon *see recipe

Finished Water - liter 2

One of my favorite dishes is lemon artichoke chicken. Lemons, artichokes, chicken and capers...how can you go wrong? The best recipe I have had is from Practical Paleo, it is really good. Since I had some leftover chicken and was jonesing for some artichokes (detox) and bought two bags from Trader Joe's yesterday. I asked Coach Charlie if it could be added and he said he would let me know...I can't wait, I am going to eat them now. I can't imagine these not being okay, they are low glycemic, non starch, non legume and really good for cleansing your body. Can you tell I am salivating for some artichokes over here? I decided to make a version of some lemon artichokes. I am having a hard time finding gluten free capers, it is the vinegar...So I decided to make this. Great serving of veges and really refreshing and yummy. 




Lemon Parmesan Artichokes
(1 serving)
2 cups frozen artichoke hearts
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1 lemon
1 clove garlic minced
2 tbsp parmesan cheese (if you buy the real deal it is naturally low fat and full of flavor)

Heat oil in pan on med heat (you can sub butter if you aren't on this challenge, it is better with butter but for points purposes I am using oil) when heated add artichokes. Cook about 5-7 min until heated through, be careful not to burn if they are getting crsipy turn your heat down. While the artichokes are cooking, juice your lemon, be careful to remove seeds, those suckers are bitter if you get one in your dish blecht! Add lemon juice & garlic and stir to coat. Let artichokes cook until juice is almost all gone. You can add salt and pepper I didn't measure, just a couple of shakes. Once lemon juice is all absorbed and there is no more liquid place in a dish and top with the parmesan cheese. 

I had thought about adding my leftover chicken to the mix but I love me some leftover cold roast chicken. So I ate it while cooking, needless to say my appetite is back. This doesn't mean the detox it over it has just begun. I mean I have no desire to eat anything with wheat in it, ever...Wheat = excruciating pain. No Bueno! However, today while cooking lunch I looked up to see some JoJos ( TJ oreo) and my mind was all yes eat one. WHAT. Commit wheatacide? Crazy Sugar demon! Just in case you are wondering I know these are sugar detox cravings because I am wanting things I never want...not even monthly. I hope that if anyone doing the challenge is reading this you aren't having too bad of a detox and if you are hang in there you will feel amazing when it is over. 

Meal #4 (2:30)
Protein Shake - 1 scoop protein powder & water
2 tbsp macadamias
Omega 3 - dose 2

This was an early snack, I was pretty hungry plus we have conferences at Geeps' school today and have to be there at 3:30. My plan is to pow wow with his teacher and then run home from the school. I am only planning on going about 2 miles since I am at the detox phase and I am running a 5k Saturday. Speaking of school...for conferences our wonderful teachers are there all night meeting with parents. Giving up their relaxing nights at home so in turn we the parents make them dinner. I got a side dish as my assignment this time and so I decided to make the ever popular Pinterest recipe for cream cheese corn ( I know, I know 50 ways of junk food, but it is a crowd pleaser) it is essentially cream cheese, butter and corn. I add chopped...wait for it...bacon on top. Mmmmm bacon, thank goodness you don't bacon detox or I may fail miserably at this challenge. It is quite hard however to sit here breathing in the fumes of bacon coming from my oven...So I will just sit here sipping my shake, hmpf. 

Also note I made this shake with water because I don't want to have a cup of milk during this detox or it may prolong it. There is 2 grams of sugar in my protein powder but it won't make much of a difference. I may actually shun the milk all together because I want to get off of the sugar kick. I also think I have to throw in the towel with this protein, it has soy lecithin in it which aggravates me due to my soy allergy and I liked my flatter belly not a swollen one. This crap is in EVERYTHING I mean trying to find soy free chocolate is damn near impossible. You either pay $20 for an import chocolate bar or get some sugar filled allergy free one. I tell you though I have a recipe for chocolate bacon bark I was saving to make for Christmas and parties but I might be just making a batch in 27 days haha. 

Did I mention my kitchen smells like bacon?

Meal #5 (5:45)
Zucchini Stew - made with ground beef, tomatoes & zucchini (duh) I ate about 3 cups worth...

For dinner I was starving, I had my snack too early and our conference was late. I was tapped and back to my sugar detox fatigue when I went to run. The tank was empty...ugh. I had to fight to run the short distance and the slow time that I did. Before I started Crossfitting I thought I was in decent shape, not great shape, just decent. I mean I had been regularly active up until I had my first child then didn't do much for almost 5 years so I have a lot of time to make up, but I could go run 20 min and walk for an endless amount of time. I am not fit...I am not anywhere near fit. I am striving for fitness but it has been 5 weeks, I can tell a big difference but it is time to step it up. I need to get there at least 3 days per week and then try something in between. 

So back to the eats. I realize I didn't tally yesterday so today as well as yesterday I hit all of the points and didn't minus any (except I might get a deduction for artichokes we will see). I did get 20 additional points yesterday for the WOD bringing me to 170, today even though I ran it is 150. A good point was made yesterday that really no foods are off of the table you just have to buy them with your points. I ain't buyin nothin! Er except maybe the artichokes which I will have to protest about haha. Did i tell you I had this beauty staring at me from the fridge?

Waiting unopened for November 1st I could buy it with some points but I'm not gonna...









No comments:

Post a Comment