Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Whole30 day 2, take 2

Okay I need to get over it I had to start over big deal. I am strapped in right? This morning I was really missing my cuppa tea. I like a good tea with cream and a cube of sugar. It is perfect I don't like it any other way, so I have just given it up. But today it is a bit cloudy and with my monthly bill looming on the horizon it is a perfect cup of comfort. The Whole30 really talks about changing your relationship with food but this is something I will not give up indefinitely, but they also say if there is something you really love...anyway enough about that.

Day 2 of not feeling cooking for breakfast, not sure what my deal is. I think tonight I am going to make some egg "muffins" to have in the fridge to grab, but then again tomorrow I may be all about wanting to cook something. So for breakfast this morning I ate leftover cauli-rice stir fry with Whole30 legal hot sauce. Orange Juice and water. I didn't get a picture because while I didn't want to cook I was pretty hungry and I am trying this eat within an hour of waking which would work fine if I woke before my kids but if I get up with them it is hard because as I have mentioned they are ravenous beasts in the morning. So after I finally cooked for them and fed them I was a beast myself.

Tuesdays are busy days for us this summer we have Taekwando in the morning and Gymnastics in the evening. Lunch is usually something while we are out and dinner is left to the hubby. Today I decided my seriously bored and whiney kids needed to have some open gym time after Geeps' TKD class. For and hour and a half they jumped, they ran, they danced, the flipped.

He has always been my little monkey

Practicing for the 2022 Olympic Games

The kids had various, not so stellar, but sustaining snacks. My kids eat about 60% paleo by proxy, but they do get a fair amount of wheat and added sugars. I always try to balance this with protein to sustain them. They endlessly try to test me but I always say no go on the sugared stuff if they don't eat protein. For example they had organic bunny grahams and apple squeezies but had to eat their cheese first. My kids thrive on protein just like I do (and my hubby if he is honest) but I don't want them to ever feel like they are the odd kid out with food. At the same time I don't want them eating a SAD diet either. They are really great in that they aren't really picky eaters. We have an eat it or wear it go hungry policy. Actually it isn't that bad but I do refuse to personalize meals for my kids. Even with my allergies I don't make them one meal and me another. At most I will just eat something sans bread or pasta but mainly we have paleo dinners. We also have a you don't have to like everything but you have to try it policy. It is amazing how easy it is to get a kid to try something if you tell them they have to try it, but they don't have to eat it if they don't like it. Nine times out of ten they will end up eating it. So essentially they eat what we eat with the exception of snack foods. 

So after lots of bouncey fun we headed home and I was mucho hungry. I grabbed the rest of my leftover cauli-rice and whipped up a quick and simple tomato salad of tomatoes, olive oil, and seasonings


The afternoon took a darker turn when Geeps started complaining about feeling bad and not wanting to eat anything but toast...one slice of toast. Firecracker was ultra fussy I think from over exertion at the gym this morning. After deciding that packing them back up in the car and toting them to the gym again was a bad idea we stayed home using or summer flexi-schedule at the gym. I also chose a quick dinner option, take out (actually delivery) I am just exhausted from today myself. There was a brief moment where I felt like having a melt down. So at the cheers of fussy/sick kids I ordered Jimmy Johns. While I know their meats aren't preservative free I did my best with a Vito unwich minus cheese. For whatever reason JJ cheese is not gluten (aka wheat) free.  Dairy is almost a safe staple in the world of the wheat challenged but apparently not theirs. No sweat off of my brow cheese is off of the plate for the Whole30 anyway. I will say however, that even though I am allergic to lettuce, I can eat an unwich with the lettuce and not hash out in some weird reaction. I may have had a hint of one before but nothing I don't mind. It is the big life threatening debilitating ones I hate. 

So after dinner (sorry failed to take another picture) I went out with the kids to jump on the trampoline and try to just have time with them. I am feeling really tired and ultra cranky (pms anyone) and I feel like I have been griping at them all day. We bounced and ran and giggled for about 30 minutes until we heard thunder and Firecracker went into panic mode. It wasn't a huge workout but it is what I am claiming today. I am just spent, between today's running around, pushing 20 kids on the rope swing at the gym, potty training and the trampoline...stick a fork in me. I don't remember potty training with my oldest being so exhausting but Firecracker wears me out. I guess it is because I have two now instead of one and it is never ending the up and down, up and down cycle of catering to their needs. I wouldn't give it up for the world! But I will go to bed early ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment