Thursday, July 19, 2012

Food Grief, Day Four Round-up

Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate

I really didn't feel like posting this but I won't have track of what is going on without it, plus I stumbled upon an article which was perfect for today's post.

So first the nitty gritty.

Wake 6:35 (went back to sleep outta bed 7:30)   Wt. 167.8

Breakfast - Blueberry, Banana smoothie made with coconut milk and catie's vitamin c powder
                  1 egg fried, 2 german sausages, 5 jalapenos

Lunch - Grilled chicken breast & hamburger topped with red onion, pickles and mustard

Snack - 2 slices bacon, 2 sweet banana peppers.

Deal breaker - 1 inch block extra dark chocolate

Dinner - paleo chili, jalapenos, unsweetened tea

First I want to say that at 6:35 this morning my eyes popped open, like cartoon popped open. What I should have done was get out of bed but I didn't, I realized the time and justified to myself I needed the hour of sleep until my alarm went off because I was mid detox. I didn't, I could barely sleep and ended up getting up before my 7:30 alarm. While I thought I had somehow cheated and was over my detox my body tricked me. I felt great this morning up until about an hour after we got home from the pool. Speaking of the pool, I rarely eat at the pool, all Whole30 aside I just don't risk it for my allergies. They have 2 safe foods for me there, chips and regular coke. Not Whole30. After ordering my kids lunch I asked John the ever so helpful and super great cook if he could whip me up a meat basket, essentially the grilled meats they offer with no seasonings and give me some toppings (sans lettuce). He was excited to oblige me, I think typical pool food gets boring when he would rather be in the main kitchen whipping up his masterpieces. It was quite tasty when I cut it all up and added some mustard (would have loved some paleo mayo)

I did have a deal breaker moment today where I ate a 1 inch square of dark chocolate I keep in my fridge. It is not Whole30 but paleo legal. I only ate one and it was divine, it is an allergen free chocolate so it is essentially cocoa and a slight bit of sugar, and I mean slight bit, it is more bitter than sweet but the cocoa flavor did it for me. 1 was all I needed.

I settled on a paleo chili for dinner because 97 degrees outside or not. I wanted comfort food. I added green peppers & zucchini from our garden to veg it up a bit and of course couldn't eat it without my husband's nearly famous dirty muchachos pickled jalapenos. They are unmatched (even in Mexico) so you will see them a lot on my food list.

So now to the Food Grief part of this post (and the explanation for the yummy picture)

I was browsing pinterest when I came across a pin from the Whole9, the creators of the Whole30, about food grief. I found it horribly interesting since I am myself in a detox which after reading this may also be a version of food grief.

The 5 stages are as follows:

  • Denial
  • Anger
  • Bargaining (where I am right now, see comment above about chocolate)
  • Crying
  • Acceptance & Adjusting
You can read a deeper detailed description of these stages here but I think they are pretty accurate and while most of my symptoms are physiological I have a good deal of mental stuff going on too. I am totally in the bargaining stage, especially at the pool today, that was a fun time in my head. I am not sure about the crying part. I did go through this with my allergen foods. I think what I lamented the most was just simple eating. I still go through phases where I think I can't just grab this and eat it, or I can't eat that ever...again. Starbucks anyone? I hit all of the stages with the allergen foods though if I think back. I think I have only hit bargaining this time around and will obviously hit the last stage. I don't feel really deprived on the Whole30 because it is basically what I eat anyway just minus dairy and sugar. Mmmm sugar, legal crack I tell ya!

So I am still in the throws of detoxing and feeling like I have a weird flu but I dropped 3 lbs from my morning weigh-in until this evening even though I ate lots and drank tons of water. So I think my system is starting to move again. We will see. 


No comments:

Post a Comment