Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Hump Day

Happy Wednesday, look at that, I know what day it is. During the summer I tend to not have a solid idea what day of the week it is or the date for that matter. I love routine and structure but tend to lose it all during summer break. Anywho...

Welp I did exactly what I said I would. Got up and cooked. Nothing elaborate, the kids wanted a simple breakfast so I had time to cook something. I went with sauteed spinach and tomatoes with 2 fried eggs. While that was cooking up I made my first batch of Ghee or clarified buttah. Butter is not Whole30 but ghee is because the milk solids are removed and you just have a sweet buttah flavored oil. It can be used for all kinds of things like frying my eggs. I use bacon grease a lot but ghee will lend a flavor that is more mild when I don't want the heavy bacon flavor coming through. I also had a nice fat glass of OJ.


I have worked most of today and needed to keep my kids entertained so we zipped around trying to find borax powder and glue to make slime. Make this stuff (even if you don't have kids it is fun) it kept my kids entertained while I worked a report all afternoon. Geeps even discovered he could transfer air from a balloon to blow a huge bubble into the slime.  It was good entertaining and slimy (yet not messy) stuff. You can see the tutorial on making it here.

Geeps with his slime...green of course

Firecracker unsure if she wants to touch hers, even though it is pink

So last night I made the mistake of not stressing my allergies to JJ...I got a hefty dose of cross contamination which has left me feeling pretty nasty today. I just couldn't eat lunch. I was so sick and my tummy really hurt. It felt really good this morning but as soon as I put it to work with breakfast, it began to gripe. So I had a handful of nuts, 2 slices of deli turkey, and an avocado...this was over about a 2 hour span so I didn't get any pictures. I also had some not whole30 fat free greek yogurt to try to sooth my belly. I got better as the day went on so I was able to tolerate cooking and eating dinner. 

For dinner I made taco soup...caveman style. 

Here is what I did...

1lb ground beef
1 onion
1 large can tomatoes
1 can green chilis
I large zucchini
3 cup bone broth
2 Tbsp homemade taco seasoning
2 cloves garlic
Lime

Brown the beef with the chopped onion, salt and pepper to season up a bit. Add chopped garlic and chopped zucchini. Cook until zucchini is soft, drain any excess fat. Add bone broth, tomatoes with juice, green chilis and taco seasoning. Cook about 20 min to meld flavors. Squeeze half a lime at the end to lighten up. Serve with fresh avocado (cheese and greek yogurt can be added if desired but it won't be paleo)

This is a meaty but light soup typically made with beans and corn. I left both out to keep it Whole30 but added zucchini to have more veggies. Using a homemade taco seasoning is such a great idea because most packets have tons of additives and even my favorite taco seasoning from Penzeys has gluten in it. Plus you can customize it to your liking. 

My dinner, family opted for no avocados


The warmth of soup soothes my sore wheat belly so I am always looking for soups you can eat all year around. This one is a favorite, but I never make it the same way twice. It may have corn, it may have some other vegetable. I can typically make it at any time because I almost always have everything on hand to do so. I personally like mine with cheese and a bit of yogurt but not tonight. I kept it clean...I did of course add my husbands amazing escabeche jalapenos. Yes I hear you asking now, sore belly and jalapenos, say what??? When I get wheated my actual stomach only hurts for the first hour then it moves to my small intestine which cramps and writhes in pain. Plus capsaicin works wonders for my body, when I am sick I actually crave hot peppers...I am part atomic bomb I think. But look...the jar is getting low :(...he needs to get cracking on the next batch...they never last in this house. 

Don't hey look amazing! They are SO good and were grown in our garden. 

So after moving forward with the cleaning house wild hair I have, I went for a run. Typically when Flow is knocking on my door my runs feel like I have cinder blocks for feet and am trying to breathe underwater. Not tonight, tonight I was like Hermes with wings on my feet. It was one of those moments when everything seems to align perfectly in the universe. It was 96 degrees, there were plenty -o- neighbors willing to share their sprinklers and hoses, there was a cool breeze, my playlist was shuffling perfectly and I was getting cheers from some facebook peeps via my Nike+ app. All of that said I killed my personal mile record by a minute and my personal pace record by nearly a minute. It was a great run which I am sure was enhanced because I said a small prayer and thanked God beforehand. Gotta love that omnipotent being.  

Post run I drank...let's all make a shocked face...Gatorade. The yellow kind too, made for me and placed in the fridge by my love. Love that man, it was cold, nostalgic and I needed it. Yes it is full of sugar and it is extremely controversial for anyone outside of a grand arena but there are times when I do drink it, because I feel better. I have been drinking vitacoco which is rich in electrolytes but is also expensive. My huge container of powdered Gatorade is much cheaper and I only drink post extra hot or extra long run. It isn't something I sit around and drink or drink at every workout. It is a fuel when needed. 

That said I also ate another bowl of taco soup, I was starving y'all and that soup is really good. 


No comments:

Post a Comment