Saturday, July 28, 2012

Paleo/Primal Cookathon

Sorry I didn't have a post for yesterday, it was a crazy day that also included me eating something before I checked allergy information. Needless to say I was seriously sick for most of yesterday and my faithful companion was a hot water bottle trying to ease my wheat belly.

Today I woke up somewhat recovered (not very well rested thanks to Fircracker) and ready to eat some good food. For breakfast I had 2 eggs with some sauteed tomatoes, 2 slices bacon and OJ. Okay a mug of chocolate tea while cooking, it is so yummy and hot beverages sooth my wheat belly as well. While I was cooking and eating breakfast I also decided to make bone broth since hubby brought me a fat bag of shanks and knuckles from the butcher yesterday. So I put them in a huge pot with carrots, onions, celery, water, and salt  pepper. I keep it simple. 




Look at those bones!!


I let it cook all day from about 8 this morning until 4 at a simmer. After that I turned it off to cool. 




Golden Elixir

After it cooled I strained it and put it into containers. It will last about 3-4 days in the fridge and longer if frozen. I am planning on drinking a mug a day so I should go through it quickly. It is full of all sorts of amazing things like minerals and such. I am hoping this can replace supplements to prevent illness during winter. 


Yum!!

So while the bone broth was cooking I dragged my kids all over the city running errands while the hubby worked all day. I got some spices from Penzeys for some upcoming delisciousness as well as made another failed attempt at scoring some coconut aminos at Whole foods (I give up I am ordering online). I did however grab another bottle of my favorite Kombucha drink strawberry serenity...it is beyond words good. I also grabbed some organic hard salami and raw cheese since I was starving. When I got home I made a plate of the salami, cubes of the raw cheese, olives, and some star bites burger bites Hubby cooked this morning for me. I didn't get a pic because I was starving and inhaled it. 

So tomorrow I am running the color run. This s my first attempt at a 5k since before I got pregnant with my first child. I have run about a total of 8 min without stopping in my couch to 10k program so I am a bit nervous about making it through the entire thing. Add the linger effects of wheat poisoning and my worry jumps a level. However, it is supposed to be a fun race and I am going to be running with some great people so who cares, they don't even give you a chip for time, it is more of a fun run.  What I do care about is this superfly packet I got!!


I am going to try really hard to get some good photos tomorrow, I will only have my phone so we will see what I can get. I am still in talks with the hubby about bringing the kids down so watch it but I think I may just pull the adult time card. Plus I am running a 1/4 marathon in September they can come ring their cowbell for. 

So after lunch I kind of passed out, a side effect of wheating, and napped for a bit. I had a really hard time trying to come back to life afterward. Mind you I didn't eat a wheat food, I ate a small amount of sauce that had wheat in it. It was a very little amount but it doesn't take much to bring me down when it comes to wheat. I am just thankful it isn't an anaphylaxis food for me. After some much needed rest I got back to the cooking and made Primal Moussaka from Mark's daily apple. Note...make sure you start early if you are going to feed your family this for dinner. I started on this at 5:15 and didn't eat until 7:40...it was worth the wait but dang!!! My kids had something else because they turned into hungry zombies and were going to eat some manflesh otherwise so I actually cooked them a separate dinner. 

Moussaka is a greek casserole of sorts made from Eggplant and beef ( and other things). It was my favorite dish to get at our local Greek festival. The traditional version is loaded with the enemy wheat, Mark's version is wheat free and just as good. I used eggplant from my garden as well as our swiss chard in place of kale since mine is going kind of crazy {this plant has been growing since last fall it will not die and has huge yields, it is like the giving tree of chard} It was so good I stuffed myself (easy to do post wheat as my belly is so swollen there isn't much room) The top is like a custard made from greek yogurt and eggs (hence primal not paleo). Honestly it is worth the work and such a great way to use the tons of eggplant we are getting from our garden. So for dinner I had this lovely goodness and my kombucha. 

Yummy, creamy, eggplanty goodness. 

So as I write this it has dawned on me I have to get up by 6 to get a good high fat breakfast (not high carb) before my run. I am not a morning person and I will most likely be interrupted 100 times tonight while trying to sleep by Miss I am still getting used to the no diaper thing Firecracker. Before I depart I wanted to share what 5 lbs of ground beef in a bag looks like...


I love our butcher, but this cracks me up. It was even funnier to see my hubby's face when he showed it to me haha. Some of this was tonight's dinner the rest will be in a future post...mwah!



No comments:

Post a Comment