Sunday, July 15, 2012

Estrogen Detox...an experiment

Mad Scientist

Most of you know and I think I have mentioned before that I have a rather large uterine fibroid. It is 10cm which is about the size of a newborn baby's head. There are typically 3 types of fibroids, the kind outside of the uterine wall, the type inside the uterus and then there are the ones that grow in your uterine wall. The latter is what I have and my doctor's recommendation for it's removal is a hysterectomy. I am quite attached to my uterus and prefer to keep it where it is. After all it grew my two beautiful babies. Plus I am a weenie and the thought of needles, scalpels and such make me want to hurl. So I have been researching on how to reduce them naturally as well as evaluating what causes them. A conclusion I have come to is I am estrogen dominant. Even if I didn't have the fibroid this is apparent because I hold most of the fat on my body around my thighs.  So after listening to the Paleo Solution podcast about estrogen I came up with a game plan and my er, science experiment. 

**Okay so this is the part where I say that I am in no way shape or form a doctor, I just play one on TV. All joking aside, I am no a medical doctor, I have not been to medical school and I am not even a scientist. I am a women who has done research and am trying to heal myself based on research I have done because there is a major lack of options and treatment for uterine fibroids. Please read this post for your information only, if you think you have a medical condition such as uterine fibroids I suggest you see a real licensed medical doctor**

So here are the details of my experiment...

Problem/Purpose - Large uterine fibroid which causes regular discomfort and is quite annoying and may result in loss of uterus. Th purpose is to shrink said fibroid naturally to avoid major surgery and detox possible high levels of estrogen. 

Hypothesis - I am assuming with a reduction in estrogen levels, regulation of insulin levels I may actually be able to shrink said fibroid thus avoiding surgery. I also expect to see a drastic change in my body size, not sure weight will be a factor as I will be building lots of muscle but you just never know. 

Procedures  
  • Follow the Whole30 program with a focus on increasing Fruit & Vegetable intake, sticking to a min of 132 grams of protein per day. 
  • Weekly workout consisting of running (3 day), heavy weight training (3 days) and yoga/stretching (1 day)
  • Getting No less that 8 hours of sleep each night
  • Supplementation - Vitamin D, Omega 3s, Probitoics & Estruim
  • Eliminate parabens and xenoestrogen contatining products
Yes this will be set up in science fair form because I am not a scientist and hey it is fun haha. I will post a daily summary of stats and foods, workouts and anything I feel like adding. I am keeping a paper journal with me at all times to document what I am doing and even how I am feeling. Hey I might have a major break through while watching my daughter's gymnastics. :D

I will also post fun pictures and related things to keep the blog interesting. Please feel free to join in on the Whole30 challenge with me if you like. I have done it before and it is amazing how good you feel at then end. It is strict but amazing.

So today will be prep day. I will spend the day organizing my eats for the week, making workout calendars, getting my house cleaned so I can focus on my first week (which is sure to hold some manner of detox), and well watch some crossfit games. I love them they make me want to be a super hero. Back to the point, I will throw up some pictures later of my fridge and what I have made to kind of give you an idea of what I will be eating. I may share my workout calendar if I can make it really cute ;) I will also explain some of what I am doing and why in various posts as well as what is working and what isn't.

I am ultimately excited because first and foremost I am such a nerd but also I am tired of this problem vexing me. I feel amazing most of the time living without allergen foods then this pops up and rears it's ugly head. I want to feel amazing all of the time no questions, I know I will get there I just have to fight for it, find what is and isn't working and stick with it.

So come along and watch me play mad scientist and see what happens!!!

Train hard, Minus your 46!





No comments:

Post a Comment