Sunday, September 9, 2012

Football Food for Cave Peeps...Grilled Wings

I am super excited about Football season officially starting. There is so much I love about Football. The game, the food, the weather, the clothing, my Pats, Tom Brady, Clay Matthews...what c'mon you know you are checking them out too. I also love the new gloves everyone is using like these...

Patriots GLOVES!  Me and my frozen hands MUST have these!!!!
GO PATS!

Football is also something my hubby and I bond over. We love it...Football and Grimm, these are the only two things we agree about TV wise, so it is even more exciting we can get into it together. This season I am more excited than I had been in the past. I have been essentially consumed by children for the last 5 years and now they are older I feel like I can take more time for myself and get back in watching it more.

Before we had kids Daddy-o and I would go watch football or make some really gnarly junk food to watch the games. That was typically our Saturday College game fare or Sunday night football dinner. We started to introduce the Sunday football or home tailgating to the kids with mucho success. Naturally today I was in the mood for football food! It is perfect tailgating weather here! If I wasn't so tanked from my show yesterday I would have my entire back patio looking like we are tailgating complete with TV. Alas I am tired so it was more scaled down so I combed my new Practical Paleo which had great ideas and thought about paleo versions of our old favorites and finally decided to make one of my favorite wings recipes. 

I found this recipe in Everyday food 2 years ago and have made this often since then. It is naturally paleo so I didn't have to make any modifications. The recipe calls for mixing everything, coating the wings, then baking. I personally like to make it more of a marinade and let it sit, it makes for some tasty wings and when we serve these to guests there are never any left over. This s a very mild wing recipe so it is perfect for kids and my kids will chow on these things! We rarely have leftovers either haha. This also work great on chicken breasts and even whole chickens. It is just a perfect combo for tasty moist chicken. 

Emeril's oven-roasted (or sometimes grilled) chicken wings

4# chicken wings (if buying the whole wing you can remove the wingtip)
1/4 cup lemon juice (2 lemons)
1 Tbsp ground pepper
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp onion powder
2 tsp salt
2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (I half this just in case)
1/4 cup (half stick) butter melted ( recommend Kerigold or Ghee here. I personally like Kerigold on these but ghee is just as tasty)

In a large bowl mix all ingredients except chicken wings. Blend well. In a large gallon freezer bag or covered bowl add wings and pour over marinade. Your butter will solidify, this is why a bag works best. If you pour the marinade over, seal the bag then massage it really well the butter will cover evenly as your hands keep it warm. Once it looks like it is covered well put in the fridge. 

 Well coated!


You can cook these immediately instead of marinating but I like to let them sit in the stuff for at least a couple of hours if not all day. Once they are good and flavored either turn your oven to 500 or pop on your grill. If cooking in the oven cook for 20 min or until done. I would love to give you more info on the grill but Daddy-o takes care of that. Just cook until done about 20-30 min. We have a gas grill and I know he cooks them on medium. 

Mmmmm


The recipe recommends blue cheese, ranch or a bbq sauce. They do not need it in our opinion and we have never used any dips. Today I am going to serve these with a bunch of raw veggies dipped in a gluten free dressing from Trader Joes. I have a mix of carrots, celery, broccoli, cherry tomatoes and cauliflower. 

Eat up and enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment