Thursday, September 20, 2012

Beefy Groko Salad

I love Mexican food. Well I love ethnic food in general but Mexican is my favorite. I knew I had found the perfect man when I was dating my husband because he could eat Mexican as often and I could and not get sick if it. I also love that it is pretty easy to convert to primal/paleo. It is also a go to for dining out because it is easy for me to avoid allergens with some plain Fajitas minus all of my allergy crap.

So today I am not feeling 100% but I am craving meat and my Mexican loving husband is off so I wanted to make something good for lunch and taco salad came to mind. I made this last week and almost made myself sick on it. Mind you, this isn't going to get the super foods of the year award or anything but it is a good way to get in some solid protein, veggies and feel like you are eating junk food. This is a primal recipe because I use sour cream (or greek yogurt) as sort of a dressing and then I add some shredded cheese.

Beefy Groko Salad

1 lb ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
Lettuce of your choosing (I use iceburg because it is my non-reactive lettuce)
Shredded cheese
Sour cream
Salsa
Black olives
Jalapenos (plus some juice)
taco seasoning (I make my own, see below)

Brown beef and onion together in a pan, seasoning with salt and pepper

Meanwhile, chop lettuce and place in a bowl. (sorry didn't get a pic of this)

add 2 Tbsp of taco seasoning to beef

When beef is cooked through, remove from heat and let sit while you assemble. 
round up your toppings...


Now to assemble. Put as much lettuce as you want in your bowl. I make a huge salad so I use a mixing bowl so about 2 cups of lettuce. Then top with beef, I put a heafty amount of that on because I want it beefy. Then I take about 2 tbsp of sour cream, 1/4 cup of salsa, 1/4 cup shredded cheese, olives, jalapenos, and about a tablespoon of jalapeno juice for some tang. 

It will look all pretty like this...

Then you get crazy and mix it all up and the salsa, sour cream and jalapeno juice makes a nice dressing. It is like a nice taco in a bowl minus the shells. 

This is a filling salad. The iceburg lettuce lends a nice traditional flavor but I am sure any lettuce will be just as tasty. If you aren't into the heat you can leave off the jalapeno juice and the salsa and sour cream will still make a nice dressing. This would probably work great with chicken too. Enjoy!


Home made taco seasoning. 

Okay so sorry if this is going to be a horrible recipe but I cook like McGyver and I don't measure anything {this is why I don't bake} but here is what I use in my home made taco seasoning. I don't buy pre-made because they ALL have gluten or some soy derivative and Pinterest is overflowing with recipes. Also I am so spoiled by Penzeys I want flavor!! If you want an exact recipe you can go here.. Better yet follow me on Pinterest and you can find it on my The Eats board. 

Chili Powder
Cumin
Garlic Pawder
Onion Powder
Oregano
Coriander
Chipotle Powder

I start with approx 2 Tbsp chili powder and build from there. The list is in order from greatest to least amount. So if I had to guess it would be 2 tbsp Chili powder, 1 tbsp cumin, 1 tsp garlic and onion powder, 1/2 tsp oregano and coriander, then a few shakes of chipotle powder. 

Most recipes call for salt but I salt my beef while cooking so I don't want to overdo it. 






No comments:

Post a Comment