Friday, September 21, 2012

Fighting a Cold

Don't you think it is funny that people say they are "fighting" a cold. Most of the time they all look like they had a late night bar brawl and the cold won. Today I kept thinking about that because we should fight our colds. Why let them take us over. I have been gearing up to fight this one I am getting. I hate being sick...say it with me HATE!! Loathe, detest, pick one. I am an anal beast about my lifestyle because I hate it so much. I turn into a whiney bee cha cha of whom no one wants to be around, not even me. Plus I hate laying there...I wold rather be up doing stuff. On top of that I have 2 kids, my hubby, my house and my job that all need me...I just don't have the time to be sick.

So how do I fight a cold? I start with my immune system. I try to keep it healthy by eating whole foods, limiting...even eliminating sugar, ingesting probiotics either with fermented foods or supplements, daily vitamin C, lots of veggies and protein. I also keep beef bones in my freezer so at a moments notice I can whip up a batch of bone broth.

So some of my favorite side kicks {yes I am the Healthinator and I need a side kick} are...

Emergen-C
Now, I am not sure if I will continue to take this supplement because see that "new improved flavor" (it was good before) that means they added Sugar and lots of it. Plus a bunch of other junk. I compared an old packet I keep in my purse and the new box...disappointed. I am not a person to waste so I will finish this box and find an alternative. 

Bone Broth

This mineral rich, gelatin packed meat jelly is great for fighting a cold and preventing them. I make it with beef or chicken bones and like to add garlic for some extra umpf. Thaw out with this when you have the shivers and you start to feel human again. 

Airborne
When I first heard of this I thought it was ultra gimmicky. But last year after catching every single solitary virus or cold that thought about crossing my path I took action and tried it. After taking it for a month I didn't get a single sniffle the rest of cold season. It works. I just took the tablets but there are a few options. 

rest
(photo credit here)

Yes rest, even if it is sitting down playing online, working, or watching tv. Get rest. Your body need to put it's focus on fighting that cold not other tasks. If you can actually try to sleep a bit. Exercise is so debatable. You hear it depends on where your infection is (i.e. head or chest) my rule of thumb is if I feel bad or tired I am not working out. If I just have a head cold and otherwise feel energetic I go for it. But if I feel run down, tired or moody I skip. 

There are a million other things I could put in here but this is what works for me in preventing or shortening the time I am sick. Whole foods are always a must. I am also a big advocate of OJ. We are fortunate to have a produce market right down the street that fresh squeezes it and keeps it cold, never pasteurizes it. While the whole fruit is better for you when it comes to OJ we are so there. Also try to keep your water intake high to flush out your system and keep everything moving. If you need some warm goodness in lieu of cold water go for unsweetened green tea. 

I hope none of you get sick but the season is upon us. If you notice you are having a bad season and catching everything review your diet and maybe add in some supplements. Remember they are supplements so don't cheat and go for them first, eat food first. Also look at what is in season food wise. God knew what he was doing when he gave food seasons. If you notice the first foods of Spring all have detoxing properties to clear our systems after a winter of heavy and rich foods. So pay attention, I always think it is so cool that oranges and citrus fruit actually have their season in winter...during cold season. 

Lastly on my list is attitude. I have been fighting a cold for 3 days telling myself I am not getting sick and trying to stay up beat. Even at CrossFit the other night I just went with it stayed happy and tried to ignore how bad I was starting to feel. There are countless studies out there about how attitude shortens healing time. So stay happy. Feeling sick and with the blues? Call your best happy friend, let your kids be silly for you. I always feel my worst at night and I am convinced that it is because my kids are in bed. They aren't trying to let me feel bad ever. The 2 days I was home with salmonella before going to the hospital they were drawing me pictures bringing me popsicles singing you name it. I woke up one time and my son had crept in and was stroking my hair telling me to feel better. Kids are great, but if you don' have kids call friends or your spouse. Hell if all else fails watch Napoleon Dynamite. 

So be well and fight the good fight this cold season!! Find what works with you and use it, don't let an illness get you down. 



No comments:

Post a Comment