Friday, January 6, 2012

Week 2 Goals and Humility

cold hard truth

I realized when I thought about this blog post I didn't do this for week 1. My thoughts are more organized about what this blog will be about and what posts will best benefit me and you. One thing I decided to do,  that I hadn't previously, was make smaller weekly goals in lieu of my larger yearly goals. Saying I will cut out sweets and do JM shred everyday is more currently attainable than lose 46 lbs ( which will take about 6 months). I realize that I need some instant gratification as much as the next person. I also know it is because I am one person on the inside and there is another person on the outside. But Rome wasn't built in a day and one thing I focus on is how happy I am going to be to answer the "OMG how did you do it!" question. So without further adieu here are my goals for this week:

Week 2 goals

  • Wake early & complete JM  level 1 workout each morning
  • Add 3 days of 30 min walk on treadmill per week
  • Stick with cooler 1 plan of clean eating this week
  • Read 30 min each night
They are all really simple goals and I only have to do them for 7 days. Focusing on a goal that takes a week as opposed to 6 months is very motivating. For week one I had very similar goals, JM everyday, eat clean, read (this is my down time), so each week I will amp it up. This week I added 3 days a week on the treadmill since couch 2 5k training is out while getting my muscles in shape. I also went from basic clean eating to a stricter plan. 

So the second part of this post title is Humility. I honestly believe there is a difference between humility and being down on yourself. I doubt God thinks being down on yourself is a virtue. I have often asked myself what is true humility and what is true pride. If I am proud of something am I being prideful in a bad way? As I said before I have a different person on the inside than you see outside. I am athletic, I love motion and fitness and all things nutrition. I love running and dream of things like ultramarathons. I am also much...much thinner on the inside. My brain translate a different person when I look in the mirror so it isn't until I see picture that I get loud massive wake up calls. 

I had decided I wouldn't post photos of myself until I got much thinner, I post my links to facebook where I have lots of people on my friends list I don't want to truly see me at my worst. I realized however that the pictures I am about to show will be motivating (or they were to me) and that I needed to be humble. This is who I currently am, this I what I look like. I have come to this point on my own and it is prideful to try to hide or pretend this is not what I currently look like.  I can be ashamed, lay blame or make excuses but only my own actions have led me to where I am. I have to eat my own bowl of stink. 

That being said, I want to talk a bit about the pictures posted below. Back in April I was at my highest weight and going to the beach. I was so stressed and upset. I bought a bathing suit that was shorts and a tankini thinking I might fool beachgoers. I also bought a coverup to try to hide even more. I remember thinking it worked really well when I looked in the mirror. HA. When I went back to looking at our pictures I was humiliated, this wasn't me. I immediately came back from vacation and started my weight loss challenge. I started eating clean, running regularly and being as active as I had time for. I felt amazing and after one month lost 15 lbs. Starting strong into my second month I suffered salmonella poising which actually put me in the hospital for 3 days and came close to claiming my life. It was intense. Afterward I felt awful most of the time. Tired, puny, sad. I had to work on bringing my hemoglobin back up as well as my iron levels. Slowly I started feeling better but not complete. After reading online that it can take 1 to 3 years to fully recover I got mad. I don't like to be sick or weak. I relish being that girl who never gets sick and being strong and independent. Hence my current motivation ;) 

So long story short :) NYE I was going through pictures with my mom and came to the beached whale photo, I was instantly embarrassed and skipped to the next photo. Then I came to the second picture which was shortly after my hospital stay...I was 15lbs lighter. (I did lose an additional 13lbs while sick but it was all water and blood so it came back) I was completely amazed at the difference 15 lbs make. When you have 50 lbs to lose 15 doesn't seem like much but it sure makes a difference. I remember putting on the capris in picture two and they were big, I cold barely fit in them in picture one. 

186 vs 171


Moral of the story is...be humble accept that you are responsible for your current state. Be proud of small accomplishments because on a large scale 15 pounds isn't much in your mind...but to your body it is a big deal. Make small goals that you can attain in a week or so you you are constantly motivated. It takes baby steps, this is cliche because it is true. However, you get to the top of a mountain one step at a time but you have to take that first step. 

Last picture...Week 1 & week 2

171 vs 170

Last note...I swear my saggy butt has moved up an inch!! 


next post - protein shakes...how I love thee, let me count the ways!


No comments:

Post a Comment