Friday, January 20, 2012

Dinosaur Eggs...A Paleo Kidventure

So from previous posts you know that I have been working on going paleo. As I have said before do what works for you in your weight loss journey, but paleo is really working for me not to mention Mr. Minus-the-46 losing 9 pounds just from eating paleo dinners and the occasional paleo leftovers for lunch. I have also decided to transition our entire family to a paleo diet. I am thriving, the mister is doing well (ahem...yes I am bitter haha) and my kids also seem to do better when I feed them a paleo meal.

First kidventure in paleo...Dinosaur Eggs. Rawr!!!

We got this idea from Sprout online after the kids told me about seeing them made on tv. Essentially it is a scotch egg without the batter and frying. You can use any ground meat you choose and seasonings you like for this recipe we used sausage from our butcher. I say from butcher because this stuff is relatively lean, I would compare it to pastured pork. So here goes...

6 hardboiled eggs, peeled
1.5 lbs pork sausage (or ground meat of your choosing)
Almond flour or starch.




Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 



Next divide the sausage evenly and roll into balls. (note there are 7 eggs & 7 balls. Caveson decided he was hungry and ate an egg...so then there were 6 thus the recipe for 6, plus 1.5 lbs of sausage is perfect for 6)


Let caveson or cavedaughter roll eggs in flour. We used potato starch, it isn't great so I recommend almond flour for sure. While little cave person is coating eggs, flatten a ball like a very thin hamburger patty. 


Place egg in the middle of patty and wrap around egg. Just kind of work it pinching the opening closed. When you are done kind of knead it so that it is good and distributed and sealed shut. 

like this....

Next place on a baking sheet evenly spaced


Bake for approx 25-30 min turning about halfway through. Some may pop open, I just tell the kids the dinosaur is hatching haha. 


Serve alongside caveman spears and flat rocks (polenta). We drizzled home made coleman's style mustard on the caveadults because it is delish! 

You could use premade Colemans but we didn't because it has gluten in it. You could also use regular grain flour but we didn't for the same reason. Polenta isn't really paleo favored but it is gluten free, I was pressed for time & the kids like it. Typically I would have two vegetable sides & planned on making nests out of shredded sweet potatoes (like a thick latke) but didn't have time. Interestingly enough my kids ate more caveman spears than anything. Caveson ate the sausage off of his egg because little stinker already ate a whole egg. Cavedaughter didn't eat anything but caveman spears...I am not complaining lol. 

Hope you give these a try and enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment