Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Protein Shakes...how I love thee

If you follow me on twitter you will see my recent tweets about my daily protein shake. I love protein shakes I have since I was 21 and started working at GNC. They have been a go to breakfast for me for years and when I was pregnant with my daughter it was the only thing I could ingest in the morning. I have always been a mix milk & protein, shake and drink but recently I started getting more creative and now watch out I can't be stopped.

Currently I enjoy protein powder in 2 ways. A shake (think drink shaker not milkshake) & in smoothies. I have a protein shake if I need a snack or pick me up, I have a smoothie for a meal replacement. There are hundreds of proteins out there, whey, soy, egg whites. I recommend that you venture out and find your own personal protein powder that you like. I have tired many in my day and have settled on a few favorites. I personally use a whey protein powder. I do this for two reasons, the main one being I have a rather large fibroid that feeds on estrogen so soy is completely out of the question. The other reason is there have been studies showing that Whey isolate protein tends to lead to fat loss over other proteins. I also like whey because it is smooth when mixed so it gives a yummy creamy texture.


Some items I put in smoothies. (not all at once)


Right now in my kitchen I have whey protein from Trader Joes. I also like Designer Whey & Pure Protein. I always buy one chocolate and one vanilla but I have been reading about all of the amazing flavors out there. I will note that when I do look for a protein powder I look for a short and sweet ingredients list...smaller list less junk.

Now for the goods. Here are my top 5 favorites...

Shakes -
Jack Frost
Chocolate Protein Powder
Milk
Sugar Free Torani Peppermint
Mix, shake enjoy...cool and yummy

Snickerdoodle
Vanilla Protein Powder
Unsweetened Almond Milk
cap full of vanilla extract
packet of truvia
dash of apple pie spice
Mix, shake, enjoy...liquid cookie

Smoothies
Swamp Monster
Chocolate Protein Powder
Milk or almond milk
banana
1 tbsp peanut butter
1 scoop Catie's great greens
ice
Add to blender, blend and enjoy. The color is like swamp water but the flavor is delish my kids beg for this smoothie and it has a whole serving of greens in it. You can substitute and green foods powder. I do recommend that you use a banana whenever using the greens however, it is awful without it.

 Swam Monster, I call it so because the green give it the color of a swamp. 



Peanut butter banana bliss 
Vanila protein powder
almond milk
banana
oatmeal about a 1/4 cup
flax meal 1 tbsp
2tbsp peanut butter
dash vanilla extract.
ice
Blend and enjoy. If using rolled oats they are fine to toss in raw if you have steel cut oats toss on about 1/4 cup cooked. this is an interesting texture...like a chewy smoothie but I like and this one keeps me full a long time.

Berry Cobbler
Vanilla Powder
Almond milk
Catie's vitamin C powder
frozen berry of your choice
dash vanilla extract
dash cinnamon
Blend and enjoy. Add ice if needed depending on our berries. This smoothie is probably very different without the Catie's C. It is a very berry flavored vitamin C supplement. I would recommend adding a packet of truvia because the C powder gives it sweetness.

I hope you try these recipes and like them. A few suggestions, if you are feeling a little full or..ahem clogged up, add flax meal to you smoothies or shake. It will get things moving. If you find you are having problems with water intake add ice and lots. It will melt into water in your body, it doesn't count as a glass of water but every little bit helps. Also I didn't add measurements for the powder or milk because it varies from protein to protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment