Friday, August 17, 2012

Flattened Bananas oh and Traveling Paleo & Allergy Free

Today I am going to be heading to my hometown for my Grandmother's funeral. It isn't a log trip about 3 hours (4 if we have potty breaks, 5 if they kids are unhinged) and we are only staying one night. While  was thinking about what my kids would wear to the funeral and such I got a text from my step-mom asking what she needed to buy me so I would have safe food to eat. I hadn't even really thought about it. I told her I would bring my own I didn't want to send her the list of 33 things I can't eat and have her try to master that in one shopping trip and incur that expense. So yesterday I started planning trip food.

Traveling is the worst when you eat a special way, but like everything else regarding a special diet you need to plan, plan, plan. I started by deciding that tonight after we get past rush hour traffic in our city we would stop and have a picnic in lieu of fast food. Hoagies for the fam and unwich for me. I have some other sides including artichokes, pickled veges and some red potato salad. For the rest of my time there I grabbed some deli meats, cheese, nuts, dried fruits, this amazing thing called a flattened banana from Trader Joes, and some ice burg lettuce (or like I am calling my non-reactive lettuce) I also plan on bringing some fermented pickles and some other chopped veggies. I am going to plop it all in a cooler and call it eats. I may also make some hard boiled eggs because I love eggs for breakfast in any form. My dad is typically the master of all breakfast makers. I am talking buffet of choices most of which I could eat no problems, but I am unsure if he will be in the mood to cook or if we will have time before everything starts. I am also taking some coconut oil so in a pinch I can grab a spoonful to tide me over. I am sure there will be a big dinner of which I won't be able to eat but I don't want to look miserable and famished during so a nice hunk of coconut butter will do the trick!.

Sounds like a good plan right? It is up to the point where we are coming back home which will involve dinner. I am sure we will find a suitable joint for me to get my cave girl on but we will see. I will post an update about how my traveling cave girl goes. In the meanwhile I wanted to share a bit about my newest addiction...flattened bananas from Trader Joes. Oh Boy!!!

I first saw these on a fellow cave chick's Instagram. I just happened to see them while looking for road snacks at my Trader Joes so naturally I snagged them. I love bananas, they are not the prime fruit of choice as they have a high sugar content but they are yummy and contain potassium. These flattened bananas are just flat dried bananas. They are soft and chewy and remind me of a fruit roll up {tell your kids this, they will go nuts} One of my all time favorite treats back in the day was a banana, peanut butter sandwich. Sometimes I would just eat a banana and a spoonful for peanut butter...it is the best. Well since I have been no bread no peanut butter girl I haven't really done much banana butter madness but now...mmmwwwaaahhh


Meet banana almond butter rolls. 

Let me just tell you...AH-mazing! They are a perfect blend of sweet and nutty and they stay together. These little beauties just might be making an appearance in Geeps' lunch next week too. So here are the details. 

1 package flattened bananas
Almond Butter

Knife, plate. 

Gently pull a strip of bananas and lay on plate, grab a nice ol hunk of almond butter and spread. I find that if you put the hunk at one end and smooth to the other it rolls better. Make sure to leave about an inch at one ens with no butter so it sticks together after being rolled up. Roll that sucker up and take it and hide somewhere so you can eat them in peace. Okay, okay you can share but make sure you make plenty they are so good. 

YUM!!





No comments:

Post a Comment