Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Morning After...

Last night we celebrated with old high school friends at our almost 20 year reunion. It was a good time with forgotten friends. There was great conversation, remembering and food that smelled amazing. Typically with my dieting challenges I prepare for events like this {where there is nothing I can eat}but yesterday got away from me and I ended up not getting a pre-dinner in me so while I was at our reunion I constantly had the yummy wafting of food tickling my nose and I was starving. I finally switched from water to a coke to sort of keep me from tanking out mid reunion which of course led to an insulin sugar spike. Long story short...I wanted to start this morning off with a big protein packed meal.

Here we go...

chicken burger with avocado, egg and bacon

When you live a paleo lifestyle your body changes. Sugar is a mad beast and when you don't consume it your entire system changes. Adding it back in for just a moment cause your system to sort of freak. Add having a few tequilla drinks on a Friday night then some cola last night and I feel like poo. But no matter this breakfast will get be right back on track. 

I did make sure to add a small amount of sugar in my breakfast just so I don't have a crash later...kind of trying to slowly let myself down. This sugar came from figs, fresh figs that came off of our tree that is 5 years old and just becoming "fruitful"


This was just a small harvest of some early bloomers. I have probably close to 100 green figs on the verge of being ripe and I can't wait. You may see a lot of these in future posts because they don't keep long fresh. I am going to possibly try to dry some or make fruit leathers for my kids. No jam though...too much sugar ;)

I have recently become fascinated by what I can put a fried egg on/in. An egg is the fastest way for me to up the protein ante so I rely on it often. I have chopped up hard boiled eggs into soups or casseroles and started adding fried eggs into different things. I started thinking how the egg gets a bad rap because seriously eating eggs everyday for breakfast makes you sort of start to hate them. I have started veering away from your typical breakfast foods and have tried to start just using leftovers and such...plus an egg. The more protein I eat for breakfast the better my day goes and that little powerful egg helps. So because eggs are my friends I am going to do a post of the many ways of the egg. I have start taking pictures of different ways with eggs and I will put them all together in a post, so stay tuned!!


No comments:

Post a Comment