Tuesday, November 13, 2012

It's Tuesday

I gots nothing clever for a title today. My brain is just not working for me. Plus I typically write my blog throughout the day but today was full of fun surprises and fussy kids, so...

This morning was my typical crazy day getting everyone ready for their day. At 5 minutes before we needed to leave Daddy-O informs me he needs to be at work early...so I offered to take Geeps to school for him and save him about 20 min...I had 5 min to get Geeps ready, Firecracker dressed and ready as well as myself (not to mention I was trying to finally make my breakfast). I was a champ, got everyone dressed and bundled up but...moi. So here I was taking Geeps to school in my PJs, bed hair and all. Oh yeah, and my PJs were some cotton shorts and a long sleeved shirt. It was 28 degrees and I have leather seats...all I can say is thank God for Uggs & heated seats (and not being late thus having to walk Geeps in). When I finally got home and got Firecracker settled with some electronic entertainment I was able to make my breakfast which today is my pre WOD fuel.

Breakfast - 2 eggs scrambled with cheese, mushrooms, green onions & topped with hot sauce
                 3/4 avocado
                coffee with milk

This was a really great breakfast, I have decided to go ahead and cut my carb/starches and up my fats. One reason is 3 cups of broccoli is a lot of friggin food and I can't seem to eat all of my blocks of carbs. This is mainly because I don't eat things like bread or beans, it would be easy that way to get those starches in, but I eat a mostly low glycemic carbs so the quantities are huge. So today I had 1 block of carbs at breakfast and upped my fat to 6 blocks. This is why I think so many paleo zone people eat a crap ton of avocados, I wasn't going to eat 2 tsps of butter, so I opted for 1 block of butter, 5 blocks of avocado. It was quite tasty. This meal, which I fought to get in my gullet at least an hour before I hit my workout, was a gem. I had loads of energy during the crazy hard awesome WOD and had zippity quick recovery. Win, win. I think I found my formula. Here are some WOD deets...

Overhead Squats 3X10 35#
then
1000m row
30 HSPU
50 KB swings 25#
800m run
time 19:36

This was a crazy wod, I didn't know what to think about it last night. I mean after doing a pretty good workout with the over head squats you started a new one with 1000m row. This doesn't sound like a long distance but it sneaks up on you, then after you finish and your legs are numb, your shoulders tired, and your hips and butt gassed you have to work your HSPU & KB swings. When you finish that 50th swing your ass has to get moving for the run. 

Now I haven't posted in a few days because I was sick most of last week, then my allergies flared up so I had a fair amount of gunk in my head today. When I went out to run I got a little choked on all of that crap and yep...you guessed it...threw up. I was feeling a little sick during the KB swings and it just came to fruition when I choked while running. It was fairly small, not very dramatic and no one was around me. But there it is...

Post wod I grabbed my snack of 1 oz turkey, avocado, and tangerine. I think I am going to have avocado as my block of fat for all of my post workout snacks, it was very soothing to my belly. Score. 

After picking up Firecracker I scrambled home super hungry. Got her lunch all together and decided to make my old favorite, salad soup. Typically I like to eat my post workout meal before the 2 hour mark after working out. Today I was fighting like I did for breakfast...kids don't give two hoots about time frames haha. Firecracker was settled while I made some chicken salad-ish and chopped veggies for the soup. It was cooking and just as I was sitting down to eat the chicken salad-ish she started screaming in pain. Me = freaked...it ended up being her belly and was fixed with a good rub and a hot water bottle at which time she promptly passed gas and passed out. It is so much fun to be a mom!

While she snoozed I worked and finally got to eat my chicken salad-ish and salad soup. After picking up Geeps from school I was starting to feel tired and hungry. My recovery post workout has reached a point where sometimes I leave thinking I should workout again because I feel so good, but I am still hitting a point in the afternoon where keeping my eyes open is a challenge, add hunger to that and I am practically narcoleptic. So while the kids were chowing some after school nosh and watching Fanboy & Chum Chum, I grabbed some milk and walnuts. Milk is a combo food an counts as a protein & carb block, I threw in some nuts for fat. It livened me up a bit and sated me enough to get me to dinner. 

Speaking of dinner, we had chili...again. I am a self proclaimed chili nut. I am not exactly sure exactly how often I could eat chili before I got sick of it but I am sure it is a good amount. I also rarely make my chili the same way twice. Today I made a veggie filled version of a paleo chili. Oh ladies and gents it was tasty. Hit the spot and I added some sour cream for fat. 

Veggie stuffed Paleo Chili
2 lbs ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
10 baby carrots, chopped or cut into "coins" as my kids call them
2-3 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
2+cups beef broth
1 28 oz can of tomatoes
toppings - cheese, sour cream, jalapenos, avocado

Brown beef and onion (seasoning with salt & pepper) until cooked through, drain off fat. Add chopped veggies and cook until soft. Add tomatoes, broth and spices and stir to combine. Bring to a boil adding a bit more broth if it is too thick. Let cook about 20 min to meld and and cook the veggies. Adjust chili powder, salt & pepper to taste. 

Serve topped with sour cream (or other toppings, I just used sour cream) yum.

So I have to get up extremely early tomorrow for a breakfast at Geeps school (a wheat loaded breakfast I might add) but it is for a good cause so we are all going and well Geeps thinks it is fun to have us at his school. I am not a morning person and I want to make sure I have lots of coffee and a hefty dose of protein before we leave so, early night for me. But before I decided to turn in Daddy-O brought me a treat!


Coconut milk nog...dang! I love egg nog, like I could drink gallons of the creamy dreamy stuff. I am real partial to it to, it has to be good stuff. The best I ever had was like real deal home made liquid custard, hard to find that and I have never tried to make it. Although Mark's Daily Apple has one I might try this year. This stuff however hit the spot, it is early I know but if it is cold Nog is perfectly acceptable haha. He said they also had this mint chocolate too, sounds good but I would want it hot and I am a snot about my hot cocoa. I drink one kind...Penzeys hot cocoa, or mint hot cocoa...that is it. 

This stuff was amazing, had a bit of a coconut milk taste which I like and lacked that eggy custard flavor but still really good. You can see a picture of this in my glass on Instagram...are you following me on instagram? No? Well you should...supermomsteurer 

No comments:

Post a Comment