Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Atmospheric Pressure

Photo: LOL!

Happy Election Day! Today was a crowded beast at the morning class and seriously the most fun class since the end of the beginner session. Don't get me wrong I love my small morning classes but I got to workout with two friends I never get to see anymore and a whole lotta others. Apparently election day gives a lot of people a day off so we had about 16 (maybe) people in class today where we typically have 4. It was hoppin, it was also awesome.

We had a great group of firefighters who came over to join this morning's wod, I am assuming they are new to CrossFit because they got a little tutorial during skill practice. Ahhh, I remember my first days of class, feeling insecure, nervous...you know that crazy stuff. After you hit that first WOD you get over it. It is hard for everyone, the key is sticking to it. The class was so large today we got to break the group up in to 2 sets for the WOD. So the seasoned peeps went first while the beginners watched...no pressure. I just tried to look like I wasn't dying so they would actually want to do the WOD haha. But it isn't really like that.

CrossFit atmosphere is unlike any other. You walk in and whether you are lifting Rich Froning's weight or just a bar and you are all equal, everyone is doing a workout that is hard for them. So you bond, you cheer, you meet & greet. I met even more new people today and had a great time of it. I think about this a lot because when I used to go to a globo gym I remember going to my first strength training class at 6 am...no one is happy at 6 am but these banshees looked like I was invading their hive. I went for a month and still never got a hi, good morning, wow you killed that workout...I get that at every CrossFit workout. Every person I have met or even seen there walks in ready to work and happy to do so...I swear I started paying attention and the people walking in to a local Globo Gym look like they are going to burst into tears or shoot themselves before they reach the door. Honestly you could compare it to Cheers, there aren't strangers there, you may not know someone's name but you will before you leave. Everyone talks to everyone, there are no snotty gym rats or my bicep is bigger than yours egos. Most people really do check themselves at the door. So today's WOD

5 min AMRAP
squat clean & jerk 55# (scaled)
44 reps

Cherry
1000m row (of death)
5:17

The Rx weight for today was 110#, heavy and not just in a Bill & Ted kind of way! On my best day no friggin way. So I scaled to 55# a lighter than I could have weight because of my bum ankle. It wasn't easy I was really short of breath but it wasn't super hard. The rowing...ugh. 1000 meters is a really long distance. I really need to work on adding some running days to get my lungs going, but then we all know what happened last time I got that brilliant idea.

So today's zone looked good. I am still filling in with some random wtf stuff. I mean this time change thing is a pain in the rear when you have kids, their clock doesn't change.  Here is my day...

Meal #1 (pre wod) - eggs, red & green bell pepper cooked in bacon fat, coffee with cream

Snack #1 (post) - 1 hard boiled egg, mashed sweet pots with walnuts

Meal #3 - chicken "tortilla" soup with a bit of cheese and sour cream

Snack #2 - cheese stick, 2 cucumbers, 3 walnuts

Meal #4 - Tacos, salsa





No comments:

Post a Comment