Saturday, November 3, 2012

Discipline...new CrossFit class

Discipline

I love this quote and it was mantra this morning as I fretted about my house trying to decide what to do. See yesterday during an impromptu run, when I was feeling particularly amazing, I waved to my family driving by, then caught the shadow of my new toned muscular thighs, thus losing focus and concentration and rolled my ankle. I came down on it just right for it to roll under and make the all but familiar "crack" that my ankle does when I sprain it. Damn it. At first I hopped a couple of time then realized it wasn't awful (as in the time I had to use crutches) so I walked on it testing it out, then tried to run again. No go. So I just walked a half mile home, into my house grabbed an ice pack, ace bandage and advil. Plopped my but on the couch, propped my foot, wrapped, iced and medicated it. Then I sat quietly outing and praying. 

So this morning I had to admit to myself I have a level 1 sprain and I can't go do the glorious workout on the board today at my box. I was super excited about today. It is a "triathalon" WOD of 3 glorious ladies...all barbell work. Be still my heart...the workout of my dreams. I spent last night watching all of the particulars examining the effects it would have on my ankle. Grace I could do but not the other two. I got up this morning with my 8 o'clock alarm and hoped for the best. Maybe my quick actions left me with some miraculous healing. Not so much, still sore, slightly swollen and bruised. Looked amazing compared to the last time I injured it but still I had to make a decision. 

Do I do what I want right now or do I focus on what I want most? I want most to be a CrossFit beast. Outside of my kids and Daddy-O it is the most consuming thing. So do I go do this intense, squat laden WOD less than 24 hours after an injury or do I just suck it up and wait to go the coaches and competitors class. The entire morning I was preparing like I was going, and repeating this over and over. Do not sacrifice what you want most for what you want now. 

Since I have such a mild sprain if I stay off of it all weekend & Monday I should be golden for Tuesday and then I can get back to it. So I decided to end the battle in my brain and go with discipline. After all I am still going to learn about coaching and competition but just not get in a good hard gnarly wod. 

Discipline

I am sure somewhere down the line I have done a post about discipline and I am sure I talked heavily about my dislike for it and lack of it. I am just not a disciplined person. I can have tremendous will power and strength if I want but as far as consistent discipline...nope. It is something I strive for in life. Actually I thrive on it. Before my kids I was a fly by the seat of my pants girl much like my Dad. Go with the flow. I always joked that besides waking up and going to work I never did the same things twice the same way each day. I did have periods of discipline and routine but they were always temporary. Since having kids though I have learned the importance of routine and I thrive on it. So since I have routine down I am working on discipline. 

When I say discipline I don't mean the red room of pain, or corporal punishment. I am talking having and keeping a resolve to do something without breaking or wavering from it, ever. In our house we have dinner at 6 every night and start bedtime routines at 7. I do this because I know that this keeps my kids happy and calm. If we waiver from the 6 o'clock dinner, they turn into crazy monkeys, if we don't start bedtime routine and get them lights out at 8 we have melt downs and behavior problems. I try to remember this in my own discipline. I try to realize that if I start a routine and stick with it I will only thrive. It's true, it never fails to make my life better, and me a better person. 

So today was a point where I had to say nope to working out this morning so that I could say yes to more working out later. I did however go to CrossFit Regeneration for the coaches & competitors class. It rocked Yo! Besides the fact I got to meet some awesome new peeps, we learned basics of being able to ref and coach a good vs. a bad rep. When we are in class we don't have someone calling our reps, even though sometimes a coach may point out if you are using incorrect form. A coach can call a no rep on you but the peeps to coach ratio doesn't always mean you will get called for bad form. This is where you own accountability comes in to play, and remember if you don't call your own no rep you are only cheating yourself! The goal of the box is to get more coaches in place...disco!

I love CrossFit, I don't know anyone who has tried it who doesn't feel the same (I am sure there are people out there but I haven't met them) it is like the exercise I have always wanted to have in my life. LURVE it...had I found it when I was younger and single or sans kids I would have tried to become a competitive level CrossFitter. Now I have two options, wait for the Master or coach. So coaching it is. I am starting to take steps now to learn to be a coach and hopefully one day get certification. So today's class was taking that first step, even though I had to watch the entire time and not participate in the workout.

I will tell you now this was hard. While everyone was warming up and we were learning to catch bad form and no reps I tried a couple with a pvc pipe, it felt good so then I tried with a 45lb barbell and it was all good...there was that one moment where I told myself I was going to go ahead and do the workout with the 45lb bar! Then I remembered my morning mantra and forced myself to not. So watching everyone fighting through their reps left me longing, sighing and wishing I was also doing the wod...stupid ankle. I was not left longing for information Coach Charlie gladly answered my many questions.

So tomorrow...Food and efficiency.

No comments:

Post a Comment