Thursday, June 28, 2012

Hot Running

The Sahara, with a size of 8.6 million km², is the world's largest desert, covering large parts of North Africa. Around 4 million people live there. Its maximum length is 4,800 km, running from west to east, and up to 1,200 km from north to south. Sahara covers most of Mauritania, Western Sahara, Algeria, Libya, Egypt, Sudan, Chad, Niger and Mali, and touches Morocco and Tunisia.

It was in the 100s here today. Hot and dry a bit like desert weather. It is that type of air that makes your throat raw because it dries it out with every breath. If you have ever been to Las Vegas or the desert you know what I am talking about. There is no moisture in the air and your sweat is gone as soon as it beads on your skin. That is what we had today, breaking records with 103 high. We have fire weather advisories because of the heat combined with the dry, add to that air quality alerts and you have a recipe for anything but good running. A smart girl would sit this one out, get up early or run on her treadmill...I am more like Forrest Gump than a smart girl. 

I love to run in the heat, I always have. I don't know what it is, the fact that I am warmed up in seconds or just the purifying feeling of sweating like crazy. I like hot running like people like hot yoga. Like I said, not a smart girl. Hot running however works for me...most of the time. I feel good, my muscles cooperate and I always tend to have a better feeling run. There are exceptions, I also tend to vomit. Gross I know. Luckily I have learned my limits over the years and I can prevent it where a much younger (and even less smart) me left many a spots around parks and various running routes (sorry neighbors). Running in the heat isn't really advised, most people avoid it. I was the lone runner tonight where I am usually out and about with many evening runners, walkers, and cyclists. Tonight I was the only insane one. While running in extreme heat isn't advised it is possible. Think about people who live in the desert and run, this is typical weather for them. So while I advise that you know your limits I also have some great tips for getting through a hot run. 

First off, I will repeat, know your limits. My super smart friend Fit Chick and I talked about this tonight. So in the words of my man Kenny "Know when to hold 'em". If you are ready to do some hot running keep some of these in mind. 
  • Dress lightly, pre-baby me would run in a sports bra and running shorts. Now I go for short running tights or shorts, and a light and wicking top. Tonight I ran in knee length running tights and a light weight singlet. Target sells great light weight fashion tank tops in their juniors department for cheap, they are super light and great for heat running. 
  • Hydrate before you run. Drink ice water it helps cool your body down pre-run and will keep you from dehydrating. I have also heard of eating a Popsicle pre-run to help bring your body temp down.
  • Sunscreen, if you are hot running during high sun times use sun screen so you aren't a french fry when you get home. 
  • Take it easy. A hot run is not the time to increase your best time or try sprint intervals. I typically shoot for a 9-10 min mile pace when I run and tonight I was going more of a 12 min mile. Nice and easy and steady. 
  • Glide...I recommend doing shorter runs on an extremely hot day but even a short run in the right heat can chafe. Use body glide or petroleum jelly to prevent chafing in areas that may rub.
  • Pay attention to your body, I always do a sweat test on my upper lip if it is dry I know I am in danger of being overheated and dehydrated. Your body will tell you what is going on, don't ignore it. Listen
  • Do your cool down. Take the time to wind back down after a hot run. Relax and enjoy the feeling and the lightness after purging all of that sweat. 
  • Re-hydrate post run. Make sure to get that water in post run. If you tend to cramp after a hot run (like me) go for a sports drink or emergen-c. I eat a banana and milk for my post run refuel but on hot runs I stick to a salty high potassium beverage.  You won't need much so I caution chugging a whole bottle if you are on a short run. 
All of this being said I will say of tonight's run, I was warmed up quick and felt really strong. I still kept it slow and steady. Once I started sweating the breeze actually cooled me off quite a bit. I had eaten a small popsicle before my run and I am not sure if it helped but I was cool and comfortable until the last half of my run. I ran through a sprinkler and asked another neighbor to spray me (he did and didn't look at me like I had a second head) that was nice a cooling times 2. I did stop however when I started feeling tonight's dinner climbing up and let me stomach settle before running my last bit. Stretching post hot run is always great!!

So don't be afraid to run in the heat, but know your limits. There are tons of great resources out there for keeping cool during hot runs like the ones you can see here.

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment